This article has detailed instructions on how to troubleshoot a printer prints half a page problem. It does not matter the model and the manufacturer of the printer. All described methods are suitable for devices from Samsung, HP, Canon, Epson, and almost all others. The situation when the printer prints half a page happens unexpectedly and at the most inopportune moment. To fix this problem, you should know exactly why this is happening. As a rule, the reasons can be simple and commonplace, and their solution is quite simple and quick. The task is quite within the power of an ordinary user without the skills to repair office equipment.
Problem after updating Windows KB5000802
If you have such a malfunction in mid-March 2021, then with a probability of 99% it can be argued that this is due to the “crooked” security update of Windows KB5000802. Therefore, in order to eliminate the error, you need to delete this “update”. We recommend that you create a restore point first so that in case of failure, you can return to its original state. You can do it like this:
- Click “Start”, and in the search bar enter “create a point” and at the top click on the appropriate shortcut.
- Click “Create”, enter the name of the point in the window, click the “Create” button again.
- Wait for the process to finish.
- If the create button is not active, then configure the recovery options.
Now let’s move on to uninstalling the update:
- Open “Control Panel”.
- Go to the section with Windows updates. The path is shown in the screenshot below.
- Find and remove KB5000802.
- Reboot your computer.
Read Also: Common Printer Problems and Their Solutions
Alternatively, open pictures and print? using an application other than Windows Photo Viewer.
- Find a jpeg or png image file on your PC.
- Call the context menu with the right mouse button
- From the list, select “Open with”, and then select “Select another application”.
- Indicate any application convenient for you.
A commonplace cause of the problem may be an accidental incorrect print setting in the program that is being manipulated. In most cases, this is Word. Using his example, we will consider the procedure for elimination. We do this:
- Open the document in Word.
- Find the “Page Layout” tab.
- Let’s select the item “Fields”.
- At the bottom, click on “Custom Fields”.
- We check the installed settings. “Normal” should be selected.
The first thing to exclude from the list of culprits of problems is to exclude the printer cartridge. As practice shows, it is this detail that most often brings problems and prints on half a sheet of paper. There may be several faults. Let’s consider each of them in detail.
Low toner or ink
When ink or toner runs out in a consumable, not all models of printing devices report it in time. In inkjet printers, you can check the level programmatically. But experts do not recommend trusting the software. It is best to check the paint level manually. Follow these simple instructions:
- Disconnect power to the device to avoid electric shock.
- Open the front cover.
- If there are more than one cartridge, carefully remove the cartridges.
- Inspect each one for paint or powder. If the level is below half, then you can safely prepare for refueling.
- You can shake slightly gently, but so as not to stain everything around. This procedure may well “revive” your consumables for a while. You can shake the laser cartridge with more force, but keep it at knee level and close to the floor. It is advisable to carry out the procedure outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.
Contamination may not be visible visually. Cleaning will not interfere with preventive purposes. For such a procedure, you will need:
- Cotton buds or swabs.
- Cleaning agent or warm water.
- Old newspapers or paper.
- Rubber gloves.
Proceed like this:
- Lay the table where you will work.
- Put on gloves.
- Turn each cartridge so that the print head is facing up.
- Drop the funds onto the surface of the head.
- Wipe lightly with a stick or swab.
- Items 4 and 5 can be carried out several times until complete cleaning.
Related to Printer:
Improper installation or assembly after refueling
If the cartridge was removed from the printer for refilling or any other activity but could be reinstalled incorrectly or not completely. In this case, open the cover and inspect the installation site and the consumables themselves. He must stand upright. Take it out and install it again. At the end of the procedure, there should be a characteristic click sound, which informs about the correct conduct of all actions.
Laser print cartridges have a problem with improper collection. In such a situation, it turns out that the distance between the photo gallery and the magnetic one is greater on one side. It will print half a page vertically. If the symptoms of the problem are similar, then the solution is to disassemble and reassemble everything more thoroughly. The pin correction recommendation does not always help. It is better to do everything at once from the beginning.
If in your work you use an MFP as a copier and when making copies, the device gives you only half of the page printed, then you should pay attention to the operation of the scanner. It is located directly under the glass of the device and is easy to see. You can check the correct operation like this:
- Lift the cover.
- Do not put anything on the glass.
- Click the copy button.
- Monitor the operation of the scanner.
- Pay attention to where it stops for more than 1 second or stops working.
Some printer models have economy modes that can be automatically turned on by the device itself when the toner or ink cartridges run out. Find out about the presence of such a mode in your model. This should be indicated in the characteristics. Turn off the economy state according to the instructions for your printer.
The printing process involves performing certain actions to exchange information between the device and the computer. As an intermediary, in 99 percent of cases, a USB cable is used. Through a bad connection or damage to it, the connection is disrupted. Check the cable itself:
- Disconnect power.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the PC and printer.
- Connect the cord to the printer.
- Plug the cable into one of the ports on the back of the computer.
- Turn on the printer.
- Try typing.
If the device is connected via Wi-Fi, then checking the signal quality is the first step. As an option to exclude the fault of problems with Wi-Fi, you can try printing with a USB connection.
The reason for printing half a sheet can be driver problems, which are easy to fix. Drivers are software that provides virtual communication between a printer and a computer. They can be damaged by users by accident, viruses, due to unsuccessful automatic updates. The solution is one – reinstallation. This can be done in several ways:
- From the installation disc.
- Download the latest version from the device manufacturer’s website.
- Update via Windows Update.
If none of the above actions helped you, then there is a high probability of hardware errors. Hardware errors are more complex breakdowns that require diagnosis and intervention by high-level specialists. An independent decision at home is unrealistic.